Saturday, February 17, 2007

First few days

Yes, I am finally here and it is not at all what I had expected. The first night we spent in a retreat center in Santo Domingo, I think they were slowly easing us in (you know, still having electricity and running water). So the next day we met our families. I have a Don, Doña and 2 brothers, and then this other guy how lives in my house but I am not sure about his relation to me. Its a small house, we do have electricty and when it goes out we have invertors to keep it running. The water on the other hand...I guess only runs twice a week from what I understood. There is this big bucket in the bathroom and when you want to take a shower (which they do twice a day so they are a very clean people) then you take a little cup and run it over you when you need water. The same for the toilet you just dump a bucket in the toilet to force it to flush. Now any of you who were thinking of coming to visit, it´s not as bad as one might think. It´s just different. My doña works in a salon here, so I go with her there and all the ladys come in to get there hair done so we all watch telenovellas. Today one of the girls who works there did my nails with the details, which seems to be a very dominican kind of thing. Anyways, I am running out of time on my internet so I will say more later. Just know that I am having a great time!

No comments: