Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cow Thiefs and Watch Dogs

So the new drama in town is the stolen cows. Somebody, and presumably this someone is from my community, is stealing cows and butchering them in the middle of night to sell the best cuts of meat in market. Then they leave the rest of the cow to be found in the morning, which by that time the meat has spoiled and there is nothing that the owner can do. This week we didnt lose any cows, but last week we lost 5. We have no police in town (not that having police is very effective in a country where bribes are very common) and people dont have things like cow insurance. So they are just plum out of luck. It makes for a little bit of a tense situation when cows are some peoples livelihood. My family also has a cow, she is how I get milk every morning. (which by the way, what do they do to milk in the states? Because here it never quite tastes the same, at all) So to keep her safe, and our little calf we have them sleep in our front yard and our scary dog Bolito sleeps next to them. People don't mess with Bolito so I think our cows are safe. But, yesterday the cow was in the yard and her knot to the tree came undone and she started running around like a crazy cow and her calf was freaking out cause the mom was charging people. All the kids were running away, which just made her chase them and I just sat in my little chair in the lawn praying to god that she wouldnt notice me since I wasnt moving. Luckily, Paco came in time to take control of the sitaution. He just kicks the cow when she doesnt want to cooperate so she usually listens to him. And I am still in one piece-she never noticed me!

No comments: